Ballast Tank Refurbishment
Thirteen ballast tanks inside the Romulus barge required to be refurbished as they were showing signs of deterioration.
Due to other on-going work within the vicinity, a coating system which would not cause disruption was required. There was also a 10 year guarantee required.
Each tank was abrasive blasted to Sa 2.5. One coat of solvent-free, wet & rust tolerant epoxy Epo-chem™ RS 500P was then applied. This was followed by one topcoat of solvent-free, wet tolerant epoxy Epo-chem™ RA 500M.
The solvent-free properties of the Chemco system allowed all other work being carried out within the vicinity to continue without disruption, resulting in huge time and cost savings being achieved. Chemco’s IMO approved specification was met by the contractors, therefore a 10 year guarantee was issued.
• No disruption to other ongoing work (including hot work)
• Reduced H&S and Fire Precautions
• No humidity or dew point restrictions
• Quicker back-in-service times (system can continue to ‘cure’ underwater)
• Chemco issued a 10 year guarantee