The deck steam pipes on-board a crude oil tanker were suffering from severe corrosion and required to be renewed.
Conventional paint systems applied to steam pipes in the majority of applications blister, crack or become heavily corroded. The client was looking for a system which could operate at high temperatures and provide long-term maintenance-free protection.
They were also looking for a system which could be applied on hot surfaces without operational shutdown for future maintenance work. Grit blasting was not permissible; therefore water jetting was to be utilised. This was followed by two coats of Epo-chem™ RL 500PF.
The project was completed within the given time frame with no major delays. The following additional benefits were achieved by utilising RL 500PF:
- No grit blasting requirements
- Can be applied and operate at 150°C
- No operational shutdown required for future maintenance work
- Long-term maintenance-free protection
- No over-coating limitations
- No humidity or dew point restrictions
- Applicable to sweating substrate