Chemical Tank Refurbishment
The tank tops found inside four cargo tanks (3 Port, 4 Port, 4 Starboard & 6 Port), on-board the Chemical Tanker, required a full refurbishment as they were showing signs of severe corrosion damage.
Replacing the original failed coating with a new protective coating system capable of handling highly aggressive chemicals at high temperatures. Working within a strict time frame also added to the difficulty of this project.
The tank tops and the bulkheads (up to 0.5m high) were grit blasted to Sa 2.5 standards. Prior to the coating application, the surfaces were swept and vacuumed to remove any dust and other contamination.
The coating specification was as follows:
• Two coats of Chem-tect™ RB 364 @ 500μ DFT per coat by airless spray
• One stripe coat of Chem-tect™ RB 364 by brush
• One topcoat of Chem-tect™ RB 300TC @ 100μ DFT by airless spray
The work was carried out within the given time frame, with no delays and was supervised by Chemco’s technical staff. All cargo tanks were completed to class standard and certified accordingly to the satisfaction of all concerned.
• Excellent resistance to highly aggressive chemicals at high temperatures
• Fast curing allows quicker recoating and quicker back-in-service times
• Reduced downtime
• Reduced H&S and Fire Precaution