Cargo Tank Patch Repair – Chemical Tanker
10 cargo tanks on-board a large chemical tanker were showing significant signs of corrosion damage.
This was due to part failure of the original coating system, and subsequent failure of an unknown coating used for touch-up repairs.
A coating system which could provide effective patch repair without the requirement for abrasive blasting at the surface preparation stage was preferred.
The new coating system also had to ensure long-term corrosion protection in an environment exposed to aggressive chemicals and potentially high temperatures.
The surface was prepared using a combination of high pressure washing (500 bar) and mechanical tooling.
Two coats of 100% solid, glassflake-reinforced RB 364 were applied to achieve a WFT of 1000μm.
One coat of RB 300TC was then applied.
The project was completed within the given time frame, with all cargo tanks returned to service.
• Excellent resistance to aggressive chemicals and high temperatures
• 100% solid, glassflake-reinforced vinylester coating ensuring long-term protection
• Full pH protection (1-14)
• Provides a tough, impermeable barrier for steel surfaces
• Fast curing, which allows for quick re-coating intervals and quick back-in-service times