Ballast Tank Coatings
Ballast tanks are areas of complex steel structure with poor access and permanent condensation.
The application of conventional paint systems in sea water ballast tanks can lead to many problems; shrinkage, porosity, becoming brittle with age, bad edge and weld coverage. Conventional paint systems additionally have extensive equipment requirements. Soft coatings are also no longer acceptable due to changes in IMO regulations.
Chemco’s innovative coating system eradicates all traditional sea water ballast tank problems.
Millions of square metres of this revolutionary coating system have now been applied in sea water ballast tanks by almost all major shipping companies throughout the world. Its benefits include:
- Solvent-free, wet & rust tolerant primer
- Solvent-free, wet tolerant glassflake topcoat
- Surface preparation standard: as low as St 2, WJ-4
- No humidity or dew point restrictions
- Application in dry dock, quayside or at sea
- Outstanding adhesion to rusty or poorly prepared and wet surfaces
- Significantly reduced Health & Safety and Fire Hazard
- No re-coating limitations
- Ballast within 8 hours
- Comprehensive guarantees – even on patch repairs
- Compatible with almost all protective coatings, including shop primers and coal-tar epoxies
Solvent-Free, Wet & Rust Tolerant System
RS 500P is a solvent-free, wet & rust tolerant primer or primer-finish epoxy coating system. The system’s long-term performance is based on completely sealing the surface (porous-free film) and arresting the rust totally.
RA 500M is a solvent-free, wet tolerant and highly chemical resistant glassflake epoxy single/topcoat.
RS 500P and RA 500M combine to make a multi-functional, groundbreaking coating system which is perfectly suited to ballast tanks.